Sunday, August 26, 2012

80%


So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.  Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.  Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.
Ephesians 5:15-17 (NLT)


I recently read that 80% of people take their cell phones to bed with them.   Chances are the last thing they do at night before falling asleep or the first thing the next morning when waking up is check their messages, emails or troll Facebook or Twitter checking out the status of others lives.  At first I was shocked.  Even a bit appalled.  Then I realized I was a part of the 80%.  I had a problem.

Checking messages, emails, or social networks isn’t necessarily the problem.  There are things that deserve our attention and response.  I think the problem lies in the timing.  We are stewards of our time and attention.  As a follower of Jesus my heart and focus should on what God’s will is for any given day.  When I check messages or emails before I check with God I may be allowing others to plan and prioritize my day before I ever talk with God or look at His Word.  

Before you visit your inbox visit with God.  Trust me, that email about a 25% sale or that funny picture on Facebook can wait.  Begin and end each day on your knees in prayer and remember to keep the conversation running with God throughout the day. (1 Thess. 5:17)  Scripture teaches the principle of sowing and reaping.  When you put the right stuff in, you get the right stuff out.  Unfortunately the opposite is true as well.  Be wise.  Be disciplined.  Be focused.  You will never go wrong putting God first!