Wednesday, February 02, 2011

SMART Goals

This past December I took time to write down a number of personal, family, and ministry goals for 2011.  I was excited about the possibilities that the new year held.  The problem is... I forgot about the list.  Without thinking, life continued on as usual.  My life didn’t all of a sudden go bad, it just stayed to the same.  The purpose of the goals was to enhance the life and call that God had given me and my family.

Goals are an important part of life.  The help us to be good stewards of the life God has given us.  Now that I found my list of goals almost a month into the new year it’s time to get going!  I’m not going to lose them this time.  Each week I will take time to think and pray about my 2011 goals.

I hope you take time to set goals for your life.  Joyce Meyer, in an article I shared with our staff this week, writes about how to set SMART goals.  Set yourself up for success by making sure your goals are SMART goals.

Specific.  Be specific as possible.  Don’t say, “I want to lose wight.”  Write down how much weight in what amount of time.

Measurable.  Goals that are hard to measure are hard to meet.

Attainable.  Make sure the goals are reachable.

Realistic.  Dream big and aim high but don’t set yourself up for disappointment with unrealistic goals.

Timely.  Give yourself a deadline by which to accomplish your goal.