Monday, October 12, 2009

Who Am I?

There are many great Christians who faithfully lived out God’s promise of abundant life. One of which is Dietrich Bonhoeffer who is best remembered as the young pastor/theologian martyred for his leadership against Hitler and the Nazi army. While Bonhoeffer has inspired many with his heroic life, he too wrestled with his identity and the life God gave him. Here is a poem he wrote while in prison.


Who am I?
This or the other?
Am I one person today, and tomorrow another?
Am I both at once? A hypocrite before others,
And before myself a contemptible woebegone weakling?
Or is something within me still like a beaten army,
Fleeing in disorder from victory already achieved?
Who am I? They mock me, these lonely questions of mine.
Whoever I am, Thou knowest, O God, I am Thine.



It is comforting to know that even our greatest heroes struggle with the issue of identity. This profound poem teaches us what we have been learning in our sermon series on THRIVE: no matter what happens in our life our ultimate identity must found as a child of God. You can listen to the latest messages on THRIVE at www.christianlifechurch.org.