Saturday, October 31, 2009

Prayer Is Optional

Pray all the time.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (MSG)



This past week I attended a pastors’ retreat. I received the schedule of the days events and there were a variety of events we were strongly encouraged to attend and then I noticed the prayer time was “optional.” Optional? Interesting.


I know that those in charge of planning the event didn’t mean anything by it. And honestly, I’m not trying to find fault. I just wonder how many of us when we schedule the events of our day we make prayer “optional.”


Prayer is the glue in our relationship with God. And we are commanded in Scripture to “pray all the time.” But too often we wait to pray when we need something. Or maybe when think about it. Or maybe when someone asks us to.


What would any relationship be if you only rarely communicated? Or only talked when you needed something? Simply put, no communication, no relationship.


I want to challenge you to schedule a prayer time during each day. And don’t allow it to become “optional.” God loves you. He wants to hear from you. He may even want to say something to you. Make the time.