Sunday, March 29, 2009

Influence

“I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents”.
Luke 15:10

A little over a week ago our youngest son, Mark, prayed and asked Jesus to come into his heart. What a precious moment it was as we sat on the couch in the living room while Leslie led him in the salvation prayer. I am so happy I was there that morning to witness the special moment.

Luke and Matthew were already at school. Leslie was sitting on the couch in our living room reading her Bible when Mark came in and snuggled up on the couch. They got into a conversation about Jesus and the Bible and Mark decided he wanted Jesus to come into his heart. Leslie called and I came just in time to hear his little prayer. These are the moments that Christian parents live for.

As I have reflected on that moment I think about the influences in young Markey’s life. I have asked myself, what led him to that moment? I think about what he learns at home and church and school. How did he come to the realization at the age of 5 that he needed a personal relationship with God?

I don’t want to give the impression that all our family does is sit around the house praying and reading our Bibles. Trust me, our home can be just as crazy as everyone else's. But, what if Leslie wasn’t reading the Bible that day? What if instead she was watching TV, reading the latest magazine, etc.? Would it have led to the crucial conversation with Mark? Probably not.

Whether we like it or not, we influence the world around us. What is your spiritual investment right now? How are you impacting your family, friends, the people you interact with each day? How are you investing in yourself spiritually? Take time this week to make some positive spiritual investments in your world and watch what God will do!