Friday, July 27, 2007

Draw nigh to God

Then say to him, “The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say to you: Let my people go, so that they may worship me in the desert.”
Exodus 7:16 (NIV)

Our kids came back from camp this week. They had a great time. It was good to have Luke back home and to hear about everything that happened at camp. The fun he had, the new friends he made, and how he met with God. The time spent at camp as a young person can be life changing. I remember my camp experiences with fondness. And there is no doubt that my spiritual experiences at camp have profoundly shaped my life.

As you can tell I think summer church camps are valuable. When I was a youth pastor I looked forward to bringing our teenagers each year to camp. Summer camp is that time you get away from the daily routine, peer pressure, and other distractions that can keep one from God. There is something about getting away and getting alone with God.

When Israel was delivered from Egypt God said the purpose was so that they could worship Him in the desert. They were in the desert for forty years and it was during that time they truly became God’s people. God provided fresh water to drink, manna to eat each day, while all that time their clothes and shoes never wore out. He provided for their every need. God revealed lists to live by so that they would become His holy people. It was in their isolated time in the wilderness that they learned to love God, hear His voice, and follow Him.
As the summer begins to fade away, have you, like our children and the children of Israel, taken the time to meet with God? It is essential that we make room for Him in our lives. James 4:8 says, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.” Take time to draw near this week. There is no substitute for time spent with God.