Sunday, July 20, 2014

Give like a child.

And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Luke 6:38


Jesus cares about giving.  He preached about it A LOT.  He watched what people gave at the temple and commended the widow who gave all she had. (Luke 21:1-4)  Jesus cares about our giving because He cares about our heart.  “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:21

Recently, I’ve learned a lot about giving from my children.  Each one has a job this summer that provides them with some spending money.  Leslie and I have taught them about tithing (giving 10%) to God first.  They have all caught on but something interesting has happened.  When it comes time to give they always want to give more than 10% of what they have made.  They WANT to go above and beyond.  I’ve also seen their growing concern to help people in need.  While most adults keep what they give a secret, in a recent offering my youngest was waving around his $5 bill so proud of what he was giving to God. 

Giving has made my kids better.  If I follow their example I’m sure it will do the same in me.  I’m not saying we should start waiving our offering around before we put it in the plate, but our hearts should rejoice for the opportunity to give, putting God first and advancing His Kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven.


Click here to give to Christian Life online.