Sunday, July 01, 2012

Abraham Lincoln's Prayer


During the Civil War a friend of Abraham Lincoln was a visitor at the White House. "One night I was restless and could not sleep. . . From the private room where the President slept, I heard low tones. Instinctively I wandered in, and there I saw a sight which I have never forgotten. It was the President kneeling before an open Bible. His back was toward me. I shall never forget his prayer: "Oh, Thou God that heard Solomon in the night when he prayed and cried for wisdom, hear me. . . . I cannot guide the affairs of this nation without Thy help. Hear me and save this nation.'"


When the leaders of our country assembled to write the Constitution, Benjamin Franklin proposed that each session be opened with prayer. Franklin said, "I have lived a long time, and the longer I live the more convincing proof I see of this truth—that God governs the affairs of men."


Our nation is great because it was founded upon God's Word and prayer. But today prayer has been replaced by political intrigue, materials and a mistaken notion that our private and national affairs can be run without God.


The Bible exhorts the Christian to prayer in 1 Timothy 2:1-6: "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men: for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men the Man Christ Jesus; who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time."


Taken from http://www.mwtb.org/site/moments-for-you/back-issues/september-october-1985/abraham-lincolns-prayer.html