Here are some suggestions to help raise our children “up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” (Eph. 6:4)
- Make God and your family your priority. You will give your time to the things that matter most to you in life. What possibly could be more valuable than the most important relationships you will ever have?
- Tell your story. Talk about what God has done and is doing in your life. Share your testimony. Share about your life experiences. Your story is important in the lives of your children.
- Be an example... at home, at work, at church, in your spiritual disciplines. Remember, everything you do, both good and bad, is the example you are teaching your children.
- Teach wisdom. The Bible is God’s blueprint for life and godliness. Let it be your guide. Speak and live the Word.
- Show grace. Teach them that grace is always greater than sin. Teach them that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. Teach them that there is nothing that can separate them from the love of God.
- Encourage. There is no greater motivator in the life of a child than encouragement. Show them you and God believe in them! God created them for a purpose. Push them toward that purpose with positive regard.
- Pray together. Pray often. Take time each day to pray a blessing over your children. Teach them when there is a need, go to God first. Teach them how to listen to God during times of prayer and how to hear His voice.
- Never give up. Overwhelmed? Be faithful no matter what! Parenting is probably the most important and most likely the most difficult calling you will ever have. No matter how hard it gets, don’t give up. If God calls you, He will equip you and give you strength to accomplish your calling!