Sunday, April 22, 2012

Be Still


Be still, and know that I am God. 
Psalm 46:10


Life has been crazy lately.  All good, but crazy.  I don’t remember a time when I’ve been busier.  I seem to have every day booked solid and I’m still looking for moments to squeeze in a few more things.  I have a feeling I’m not alone.  This appears to be a reoccurring theme in a wide variety of people.  Our obligations with work, home, church, life, etc. are piling up quicker than we can handle.  This is a problem.


When we get busy we usually make cuts in our personal time with God.  At the point we need Him the most, we seek God the least.  In John 10, Jesus likens our relationship with Him as a sheep with its shepherd.  Sheep know (verse 14) the voice of the shepherd, listen (verse 27) to the voice of the shepherd, and follow (verse 27) the the shepherd.  I know life is busy, for all of us, but its imperative that we make time for our shepherd.  If we don’t, we’ll find ourselves lost, sick, and dying. 


God gives us a ton of promises in His Word.  These promises and commands are God speaking to us.  Its His voice.  Do we know His voice, His “nudge”?  And if we are listening, do we obey?  Or are we to busy?


In the midst of our busy lives, we must make time for God and stay sensitive to His voice.  Remember what God is telling us in John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”  Being too busy for God will lead you in a direction you DO NOT want to go.  Staying close and obedient to Christ is the key to true abundant life!