Friday, April 17, 2009

Turning 40

Seventy years are given to us. Some even live to eighty. But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble; soon they disappear, and we fly away.
Psalms 90:10 (NLT)

I’m turning 40 this week. I know it’s not the biggest deal in the world, but I don’t do well with big birthdays. I have a tendency to think too much about the brevity of life. I understand that for some in our congregation I’m still young and to others I am ancient. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

But when you look at what the Bible says, along with the average lifespan these days, when you hit 40, even with good health, your life is about half over. I can’t believe how fast the first 40 years went and my dad amusingly mentioned that the second 40 go even faster. How is it that even a long life can seem short?

I believe it’s because we were made for more. Much more. We were created for an eternity with God. So while we have breath in these mortal bodies we are preparing for eternity. I have to keep an eternal perspective remembering to live for the glory of God. It’s only what I do for Him that will matter for eternity.

The Bible says, “Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials—gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value. If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames.” 1 Cor. 3:12-15 (NLT)

So how have I used my first 40 years? If the Lord tarries, how will I use the next 40? It’s important to think about. I want it said of me what was said of David, “David had done the will of God in his own generation.” Acts 13:36 (NLT)