Sunday, November 30, 2008

Push and Pull

It seems like life is endless game of push and pull. I feel like my alarm is pushing me out of bed each morning into a day with a “To Do” list that is impossible to accomplish in 24 hours. And everyone said, “Amen.” Our stories are probably similar: constant demands, overwhelming schedules, too much to do, too little time.

By the end of each day I look at my Palm and see all the things I didn’t get done. I begin moving the mountain of tasks to tomorrow’s “To Do” list. So before one day is over I already feel pulled into tomorrow by my subtly increasing time debt.

There is nothing wrong with a lot to do. It’s part of the world in which we live. Everyone is pushed and pulled through life. The important question to ask is, “Who is doing the pushing and pulling?” While I believe we are responsible for the choices we make in life, it seems at some point we lose control and something or someone else takes over.

Who is doing your pushing and pulling? As Christians, the answer should be God, His Word, the example of Christ, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. When asked about what He was doing Jesus responded, "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.” Jesus was in tune with the Father’s will. It wasn’t about what He wanted to do. It wasn’t about what people expected Him to do. It was all about what God wanted Him to do.

Our lives are not our own. We are stewards of our lives, our time, and all that we have been given. At some point we will stand before the Judge and give an account and the question will be, “What is your relationship to the Judge?” Take time this week to reflect on the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42 and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you about your work with and relationship to Him.