Sunday, September 02, 2007

Jury Duty

The remarkable thing about fearing God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else; whereas, if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.
Oswald Chambers

The fear of the Lord is the fountain of life…
Proverbs 14:27

I had jury duty this week. I wasn’t chosen. At first I was happy that I was able to get back to church earlier than planned and get some more work done. Though as I thought about it I wondered why I wasn’t chosen. Was it something I said? Was it the way I looked? I guess deep down I wanted to be chosen. Everyone likes to be chosen. It feels good to be picked to be on the team no matter what the team is. I could have been on the jury to help decide the fate of two people. But I wasn’t chosen to sit on the jury. My opinion didn’t matter in the case.

As I thought about the jury process and how we live our lives it seems as though we are always trying to impress a jury of our peers, family, coworkers, etc. We worry about how we look to them, what they think of us. We are worried about their judgment of us. And yet, when all is said and done their opinions really do not matter. The only one we are accountable to is God. At the final judgment we won’t be scrutinized by a jury of our peers we will stand before a holy and righteous God. His opinion alone will matter.

As we have learned in our Getting To Know God series God is not only holy and righteous, He is also loving. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) God loves you and desires the absolute best for your life.

Think about who you are trying to impress. As you live your life this week remember that the only opinion that really matters in the end is God’s opinion. And we are right with God, it’s all right!