Sunday, September 09, 2007

Golf

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
Psalm 42:1, 2a

This weekend is our annual golf outing at Christian Life Church. This is one of the weekends I look forward to all year. It’s really not about the golf, I just love hanging out and having fun with members of our church family.

You might say, “Well, what about the golf?” I have to admit I am pretty competitive and I like to win at whatever I play but to be honest I don’t love golf. I used to love golf. I was, as they say, bit by the "golf bug." I would play any chance I could. If it wasn’t for the lack of time and money I would have golfed every day if I could. For a while there I would have to admit golf was an obsession for me. Now, I can count on one hand how many times I play in a year.

What changed? I don’t know. The craving is just gone. Maybe I got it out of my system. Maybe I reached a plateau in my play. I really don’t know what happened. All I do know is that I don’t enjoy it like I used to. What once was a passion for me is now just recreation.

Over time this same phenomenon can happen in our Christian life. What once was a passion becomes recreation. At one time we could not get enough of God, His Word, His church. But something happens. You can’t explain it. The passion that once burned bright is just gone.

Our walk with God is not a hobby, it is a relationship. Like in all relationships it’s not about the level of passion, it’s about the level of commitment. Passion can get any relationship started; it’s commitment that gives a relationship longevity. Don’t let your relationship with God stagnate, rekindle the passion.


What is your passion level with God right now? A better question is what is your commitment level? Remember our verse for this fall at Christian Life is James 4:8, “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.”