Monday, October 30, 2006

Motivational Speakers

I have always been fascinated by motivational speakers. I’m drawn to their positive messages. Now, I’m not talking about the new age nonsense you sometimes see on PBS. I’m talking about people who focus our attention on the positive side of life. I enjoy looking at life through the eyes of faith and hope.

Subsequently, I have always enjoyed ministers and ministries that have focused on positive faith-filled thinking. I love to watch and listen to a Robert Schuller or a Joel Osteen. There is something about their message that inspires my soul. And judging by the size of their congregations and TV audience there are many inspired by their message.

The reason positive messages are so attractive is because they are filled with faith. Faith that there is something greater, bigger, better in our future. And as we have been studying in Hebrews, “without faith it is impossible to please God.” Hebrews 11:6a

When you study the Bible you will find the positive faith-filled messages that permeate the pages of Scripture. Paul in Philippians 4:8 commands us to think on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy. Peter in 1 Peter 2:9 tells us to see ourselves as a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God. One of my favorite verses comes in the blessing pronounced in Deuteronomy 28:13, “The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.”

The Word of God is clear…for those of us who love and follow God with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength we can be full of hope and faith. Now that’s a positive message worth getting excited about!