Sunday, November 04, 2012

You are the pastor of your home.


“But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
Joshua 24:15

A couple of years ago I had the privilege of having lunch with Pastors Phil and Kari Vance of Living Faith Fellowship in their home in Pullman, Washington.  One of their adult sons was eating with us and when we had finished praying for the meal Phil, in a loud voice announced, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!”  To my surprise everyone at the table began to cheer.  They could tell by my silence that I didn’t understand their unique family custom and went on to explain that from the time their children were very young this is something that has been done during the prayer time at every family meal.  What’s great is this tradition now extends down to their grandchildren.

It was so beautiful to watch that needless to say I wanted to bring this tradition home to my family.  While awkward the first couple of times our boys now love it!  They quickly remind me if I forget, or even ask if they can say it at the end of the prayer.  And now our house is filled with plaques that read, “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

This powerful statement about a family commitment to serve the Lord comes from the life of Joshua.  Joshua was one of the few Bible characters that started and finished well.  Not that Joshua was perfect but he was committed to the call of God on his life, his family, and his people.  Joshua followed Moses, spent time with God, was a mighty warrior, and led his 
family and people into the promised land.

You are the pastor of your home.  Like Joshua, God has called you to lead.  Make that commitment to follow God and live for Him.  Be the lead for your family and those around you.  Declare today and each and every day, “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD!”