There is little debate that Billy Graham is the most influential evangelical leader of our lifetime. His life and ministry is an example for us all. In October 1959, Rev. Billy Graham visited Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis. A report said he spent time with the students and faculty and shared the following:
- Be sure you maintain a personal encounter with Christ. (The blind can't lead the blind.)
- Be sure you've had a call from God.
- Have systematic daily devotions. (You need at least a half hour alone with God daily, said Rev. Graham. At the time of the report, he was reading five psalms a day to learn how to get along with God and one proverb on how to get along with people.)
- Have a consuming love for others. Show compassion by entering into their emotions.
- Be sure you have a message to preach. With authority, simplicity, and urgency, preach to a decision.
- Be an example. Back up your spoken witness with your life.
Timeless principles from a great servant of the Lord Jesus Christ.