Sunday, July 26, 2009

Leftovers

Then King David said…”For I will not take what is yours for the Lord, nor offer burnt offerings with that which costs me nothing."
1 Chronicles 21:24 (NKJV)


Often times I enjoy leftovers. Finding something in the fridge from the night before that hits the spot for a 2nd time. I remember as a kid complaining about leftovers. “Ah Mom, this again.” Now as an adult I enjoy my leftovers and think about the money I am saving by eating the same meal twice.

There is a principle all through Scripture that we are reminded of during offering time that our first and best should always belong to God. Unfortunately, too many of us offer God the leftovers in our life, and I’m not just talking about our finances.

The Bible tells us to love the God with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength. The Message Bible says it this way… “So love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.” (Mark 12:30) Here are some questions to help us make sure our walk with God is a priority.

Heart (passion) – Do you love Him more than anything else in this world?

Soul (prayer) – Does God have first place in your life? Do you trust in Him more than anything else?

Mind (intelligence) – What occupies your thinking? Does “heaven fill your thoughts?” (Col. 3:1,2) Do you meditate on things that are good and pure? (Phil. 4:8)

Strength (energy) – Do you do all you do every day as unto the Lord? (1 Cor. 10:31)