Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prayer

Prayer is one of the key components to our mysterious relationship with God. Here are some of my favorite prayers from great Christians.

O Holy Spirit of God, abide in us; inspire all our thoughts; pervade our imaginations; suggest all our decisions; order all our doings. Be with us in our silence and in our speech, in our haste and in our leisure, in company and in solitude, in the freshness of the morning and the weariness of the evening; and give us grace at all times humbly to rejoice in the Thy mysterious companionship.
John Baillie

Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart.
Martin Luther

Lord, make my life a window for Your light to shine through and a mirror to reflect Your love to all I meet. Amen.
Robert Schuller

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy. Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy. Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.
Augustine

Lord, teach me to listen. The times are noisy and my ears are weary with the thousand raucous sounds which continuously assault them. Give me the spirit of the boy Samuel when he said to Thee, "Speak, for Thy servant heareth." Let me hear Thee speaking in my heart. Let me get used to the sound of Thy voice, that its tones may be familiar when the sounds of earth die away and the only sound will be the music of Thy speaking. Amen.
A. W. Tozer

For more inspiring prayers pick up the Great Prayers of Great Christians sheet in the church lobby.