Friday, September 05, 2008

The End.

…the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage feast: and the door was shut.
Matthew 25:10

As we begin to look at The End (our End Times series) let me ask you a question: Are you ready? If Jesus was to come back today, are you ready? I know that we don’t think about it much, but if we did, I have no doubt it would revolutionize how we live our lives.

How we view the end times is important. A biblical view of The End will shape how we do our family, work, and church lives. It impacts your social and political views. It impacts your prayer life, your work for the Lord, how you spend your time, how you treat others, and what you value. Like I’ve said, thinking about End Times can revolutionize your life.

I hope you are looking forward to Jesus’ return. He could come back at any moment! But what if God waits 10 more years? What about 25? What about 50? I remember thinking when I was my boys’ ages that the Lord would probably return before I became an adult. I hate to be morbid about this, but what if the Lord takes another 50 years to return? The reality is that most all of us will be dead. Not a happy thought, but true.

The Bible is clear, we are not guaranteed tomorrow. We need to be right with God right now. 2 Corinthians 6:2 says, “…the ‘right time’ is now. Today is the day of salvation.” As we long for the return of the Lord, let’s make sure we’re ready and those around us are ready for eternity to begin today. Take time this week to reflect on the sobering words in James…

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
James 4:13-14

Let me ask you the question again. Are you ready?