The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?
The Christian Life Church Book Club is reading the book Lincoln’s Melancholy. Our 16th president had a fascinating journey to becoming one of nations most beloved and respected presidents.
Did you know that within days of taking the office of president that?
- His predecessor, James Buchanan, openly declared that Lincoln would destroy the nation.
- Seven stated seceded from the Union.
- The U.S. House of Representatives refused Lincoln’s plea to enlarge the military.
- The Senate passed a resolution demanding the War Department reduce military spending.
- Rumors ran rampant that Lincoln would be shot at his inaugural and Washington DC would be burned to the ground.
Think you got troubles? To make matters worse the New York and Washington papers viciously attacked Lincoln calling him a “third rate country lawyer, a dictator, an ape, a buffoon.”
How was Lincoln able to succeed with so much against him? He was a leader who always chose to what was right. He was also a leader who surrounded himself with the right people to help him succeed. His decisions weren’t based on what was popular or convenient. Lincoln simply chose what was right.
How do you handle the critics, disappointments, and struggles of life? Do you look for the easy way out? Do you seek the approval of others? I encourage to always choose to do what is right. Seek God’s counsel and follow His ways. It may not be popular. It may not be easy. But it will be right and will lead to ultimate success.