Saturday, March 18, 2006

Home

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms… I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”
John 14:1-4

This past Sunday after church I stopped at an open house. It’s a beautiful home that I have admired for years and had just come on the market. Now I’m not looking to move, nor could I afford the increased payments this home would require, but I wanted to see what it was like on the inside. To be honest, I was secretly hoping I would be disappointed with size, floor plan, ascetics, or something about the home, but to my dismay, it was even more tremendous than I had imagined.

As I walked through the house I imagined my family and me living there. What would go where, who would get which rooms, where my study would be. My fantasy quickly came to an end when I remembered that commandment about not coveting, but the Lord also took that moment to remind me that there is no home on this earth that will be my forever home.

There will come a day after seeking God here on this earth I will be able to enjoy being with Him forever. I like the way one person summarized our hope of heaven. There we will be worship without distraction, service without exhaustion, fellowship without fear, learning without fatigue, and rest without boredom.
My forever home is with my Father in heaven. And I have no doubt that He who formed the galaxies could far out-design the styling of an English Tudor in Des Plaines.